52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Monday, March 17, 2014

"Yoked"

I applied for and received a commission to make something for Spark & Echo Arts, in New York. They are working on creating an illuminated Bible, with dance, sculpture, painting, poetry, fiction, theatre, music--you name it--doing the illuminating. They have an ambitious and preposterous goal of getting something made for every passage of scripture. I was asked to make something inspired by a passage related to poverty, and this is what I made. The poem gave me a lot of trouble. Below is a picture of the pages of drafts and notes I made, most of which was abandoned. Anyway, the whole project is worth checking out, and if you're a maker--religious or not--and interested in what they're doing, you should apply for a commission.


No comments: