52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Monday, June 9, 2014

Summer means reading,

which means this blog will contain, among other "organic matter produced by the decomposition of organisms," a repository of quotations, like this (I.9), from The Confessions of St. Augustine, which I've never before read
O God, my God, great was the misery and great the deception that I met with when it was impressed upon me that, to behave properly as a boy, I must obey my teachers. This was all that I might succeed in this world and excel in those arts of speech which would serve to bring honor among men and to gain deceitful riches. Hence I was sent to school to acquire learning, the utility of which, wretched child that I was, I did not know. Yet if I was slow at learning, I was beaten. This method was praised by our forebears, many of whom had passed through this life before us and had laid out the hard paths that we were forced to follow. Thus were both toil and sorry multiplied for the sons of Adam.

No comments: