52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Friday, March 20, 2015

30. Words are of Two Kinds

“Words are of two kinds, simple and double.”
Aristotle says this. Verb tense makes him live.

He is bearded, be-robed, hair giving way
to a polished pate. I don’t know Greek.

Perhaps he says, “Alert the pupils.
Our lesson begins.” What is there to eat

in ancient Athens? Rough bread,
fish, water with mud in it to drink.

The fish will not be like the fish I eat,
occasionally, in restaurants.

It’ll be unseasoned, full of bones.
I’ll rinse my hands in muddy water.

Does Big-A think I’m a pupil in my
outlandish clothes? I’m awfully old,

but he pegs me at 30. Will he put me up
for the night? Will my bed be straw?

Will there be insects in it and in my food?
Is there coffee? I hate it here.

No comments: