52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Sunday, February 14, 2016

4. When I Was Late

When I was late, I said,
May I have more time, please?

When you asked how much I needed,
I told you just a few days,

and you said yes and received
my thank-yous.

When two weeks had passed,
you gently reminded me

of my commitment.
I said, oh, right,

thanks for the reminder,
I'm on it. I wasn't.

When it began to fade
in urgency, it was mostly

forgotten, except sometimes,
when I'd think I can't contact

you, for I'd let you down,
and time somehow made it

worse. Whenever we'd
happen to meet, we'd know.

Our friendship was, therefore,
changed. When years later,

over a drink I said I can't still
shake having let you down,

you said, Think nothing of it:
I barely remember it.

No comments: