52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Wednesday, March 9, 2016

30. Quick Poem

The sweet science and the dismal science
and the science of sleep and of getting rich
and of Interstellar and of love (these last four,
four sides of a six-sided cube; two sides
blank; I don't know why) are all sciences
I have mastered knowing just enough about
to say something about during job interviews
that will either get me hired or shown the door,
or, perhaps, it may be, a second interview.
I got one of these once and was told by my
connection at the firm to next time be sure
to wear a tie. It had come up after my interview
during small talk with the HR rep I had met with,
so my connection told me, so I was sure next time,
at the second interview, to wear one. I didn't get
the job, obviously. Why, I'm still here, aren't I?

No comments: