52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Friday, March 11, 2016

31. "Temecula Sunrise"

I live in a new construction home
         A strange way to put it. Like the language is new
         to the singer. This is a reference to the recent growth
         of Eastern San Diego County.
I live on the strip behind the dealership, yeah
         Proximity of centers of commerce to tracts
         of new homes. Typical SoCal.
I live in a greenhouse and I am getting wasted, yeah
         May be a sun porch? If it's one of the new homes
         I have a hard time seeing how you'd fit a greenhouse
         in its yard, which usually comprises little more than
         a tiled patio under a latticed patio cover.
         Maybe the greenhouse is metaphorical.
         I don't think the wasted is, as his rock'n'roll
         'yeah' seems to indicate, or maybe he doth
         proclaimeth too much?
Temperature rising
         It does get hot out there off I-15 (the 15, we'd say), 
         and if you're in a greenhouse, then, yeah,
         you'd be hot.
I can feel it all the way down
         The heat, I imagine.
And what hits the spot, yeah, like Gatorade?
         Sure, I guess. How old are you?
You and me baby, hitting' the spot all night
          Well, now it's getting a little sexy. 
          Keep in mind, baby, that he's comparing
          sex with you to drinking Gatorade.

Up in the light of the high Temecula sunrise
          I've listened to the song many times and have
          not ever considered that the word "high"
          precedes "Temecula sunrise" in the chorus.
          It sounds like David Longstreth, Amber
          Coffman and Angel Deradoorian were
          singing, "Ahh!" as in "Ahh! Temecula
          Sunrise!" 
High Temecula sunrise
High Temecula sunrise

Definitely you can come and live with us
         That's a strange line, syntactically, for
         a song. It doesn't scan. Who's the "us"?
         I assume the singer's family. He's a teenager,
         maybe (loves his Gatorade), or at least he
         lives at home. This is a nice 21st C. update
         of "Wouldn't It Be Nice," which dreams of
         growing up into a picture of marriage but here
         is about living on in new love with the parents
         and, one hopes, an obnoxious younger sibling.
I know there's a space for you in the basement, yeah
         Loves that "yeah." Also, this song is written by
         an East Coaster, clearly. There are no basements
         in Temecula "new construction homes."
All you gotta do is help out with the chores and dishes
         Because my parents say so!
And I know you will
         Ok. These lyrics are bonkers!
Rest assured, comfortable
          ?
You have nothing 
          ?
The face of earth will be white
          This line, too, I've never picked up while listening
          to the song.
And after all, yeah, all of it
          This line must go with the next one?
Indian paintbrush and a couple of brown finches
          This is starting to feel like college poetry…
Right there in the light of the high Temecula sunrise
High Temecula sunrise
High Temecula sunrise

I welcome the new construction roads
           This line makes no sense.
I see that my silhouette is golden, yeah
           Against the hills? Wouldn't it be darker?
I know the horizon is bright and motionless
           Another strange line for a song.
Like an EKG of a dying woman
           Too much! This simile is too much! 
           The tenor and the vehicle are too much
           at odds with each other. 

Far away from the light of the high Temecula sunrise
High Temecula sunrise
High Temecula sunrise
          The chorus is, and the song is, too, 
          sonically resplendent. Perhaps Longstreth is
          going for what Malkmus claims he's making:
          an inviting and compelling sound package. 

No comments: