52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Tuesday, April 11, 2017

35. Stanzas Written on April 10

The news is bad, perhaps terminally so.
World of tomorrow, look up these dates
If you exist and see if you see why I alert you
To them: 8 & 9 & 10 April 2017.
*
When I went from renter to owner
Not only my status but all of existence changed:
‘Earth felt the wound,’ nature ‘gave signs of woe.’
I’d been persuaded by whispers in my ear.
*
Freeway this morning was unusually quick.
Cars glided ahead in their rows like canisters
In vacuum tubes conveying mail or money.
Patch of snow, glimpse-able through haze, lay thataway.
*
What’s a gun what’s a coral reef what’s a supreme 
Court justice what’s a sexual harassment lawsuit what’s
Torture of gay men who don't exist what’s a distant 
War what’s cancer what’s a chemical attack what’s 




No comments: