52 SONGS

...the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life...

Saturday, April 15, 2017

40. Teakettle

Let's say, for example, that you heat the kettle on the stove
and then you decide not to make tea after all.
The water came from the tap, to the tap from groundwater,
and/or from the Colorado River, the natural gas 
from hydrocarbon reservoirs reached by a process
I do not understand. Electricity brightens the kitchen.

In light of that example, take airplanes in the sky.
I noticed while walking the dog they point the direction
they're heading, like an arrow saying that way.
Nothing, I know, so far is revelation to me, to you, 
but the suggestion the planes over my house made  
seemed at that instant new, poetic even, if less so now,

because my dog points in the direction she's heading, as do I
while walking next to her. Everything points in the direction 
it's heading, is what I'm saying--drills dropping into shale, 
trucks bringing drills and men to work the rigs, canals 
in the Owens Valley, each depressed key on a keyboard, 
all used or wasted heat and water, a neatly made bed.

No comments: